Be Careful… It’s a Jungle Out There!!
Plumber felt like he was ‘struck by lightning’ after false widow spider bite. A plumber has told how he felt like he had been struck by lightning when he was bitten by a spider in his parents’ west London garden.
Sunil Dade’s legs and arms started shaking “uncontrollably” after he was struck by what is believed to be a venomous false widow as he gathered washing from the line.
The 33-year-old, who said he felt pain like a “thunderbolt” from the back of his head, has been unable to work since the incident in Greenford.
His brother spotted the dead spider on his jumper and Mr Dade squeezed out all the poison he could before seeing his GP the next day and then going to A&E.
Despite being prescribed antibiotics, a large section of skin across his neck turned black around the bite and began peeling off.
“I wasn’t scared of spiders before – but I am now,” Mr Dade told the Daily Mail.
“I’ve broken two vertebrae before in an accident, I’ve been stung by a bee – they were nothing compared to this, it was a million times worse. It was like I’d been struck by lightning.
“I started shaking, my legs, my arms, uncontrollably. I ran into the house crying and shouting for my younger brother Sandeep, who’s 25, to help me.
“He pointed to my hoody. On top of it was the dead spider with a fat body just under an inch across.
“I’ve seen spiders with longer legs, but this had this big hard black body, with white and grey on it, and it had these fangs. Only later did I look on the internet and find it was a venomous false widow spider.’
A boom in false widow spiders in Britain is believed to have been sparked by a warm summer without flooding or a severe drought.
What can Employers do to protect their employees? When will there be a time where we write a risk assessment for this??
Have you ever been bitten on the job?